Modern Slavery Statement
The Modern Slavery Act 2015 requires large UK businesses to publish a statement describing the activities they are undertaking to prevent slavery and human trafficking in their own business operations and supply chain.
The California Transparency in Supply Chains Act 2010 has similar requirements for companies doing business in California. Diageo’s statement fulfils the requirements of both acts and covers all group companies worldwide.
What is Diageo’s approach?
We are a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact and committed to acting in accordance with the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs). We fully endorse and support the principles enshrined in the International Bill of Human Rights and the International Labour Organisation’s (ILO) Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work.
Diageo has a well-developed and embedded policy framework that addresses human rights, and specifically the risk of modern slavery. This framework details our commitment to acting ethically and with integrity in all our business dealings and to implementing and enforcing systems and controls to prevent modern slavery in our business and in our value chain. We are also committed to ensuring there is transparency in our approach to tackling modern slavery in our own business and throughout our value chain.
We expect the same high standards from all of our contractors, suppliers and other business partners, and we require our contractors and suppliers to comply with our policies and codes to combat the use of forced, compulsory or trafficked labour, or anyone held in slavery or servitude, whether adults or children. We expect our suppliers in turn to hold their own suppliers to the same high standards.
We have regular contact with our trading partners to check, as far as possible, that they are similarly committed to good practices in relation to their workforce and contractors.
Policies and training
Our policy framework addresses human rights, and specifically the risk of modern slavery, and is supported by training.
- Our Code of Business Conduct is intended to embody our purpose and values. It sets out our collective and individual commitment to conducting business in accordance with them, and with all relevant laws, regulations and industry requirements, as well as with a high standard of ethics and responsibility. Our Code also sets out the headline expectations on human rights, which are further detailed in our Global Human Rights Policy.
- Our Human Rights Policy details Diageo’s position on our core human rights principles – valuing diversity; preventing harassment, discrimination, child labour and forced labour; expectations on wage and working hours; and enabling freedom of association to trade unions.
- Our Partnering with Suppliers Standard has been developed to help drive higher standards in our supply chain. It sets out the minimum standards we require of our suppliers, along with the wider sustainability aspirations we expect our suppliers to be working towards in areas such as water management and emissions reductions. The standard is structured around the following five focus areas of engagement with our suppliers: Business Integrity and Ethical Standards; Human Rights and Labour Standards; Health and Safety; Environmental Impact; Sustainable Agricultural Supply Chains.
- Our Brand Promoter Standard establishes the principles and guidelines for the deployment of Brand Promoters. It is based on our values and our commitment to respect and protect the rights of all our employees, and those who work with us. We recognise our responsibility to protect the rights of our Brand Promoters, and we expect our third-party suppliers, business partners, as well as the outlets that we partner with, to hold themselves to the same standard.
- Our Sustainable Agriculture Strategy sets out our vision to make our agricultural supply chains economically, socially and environmentally sustainable and reinforcing our commitment to ensure Human Rights and working conditions throughout our value chain.