Diageo announces package of support for British drinks industry
- Guinness to pledge £1m to support bartenders in Britain
- Complimentary training and online learning available for all bartenders
- Diageo to support smaller retailers, pubs and bars through flexibility on order sizes
17th March 2020: Diageo has today announced a suite of measures to help support the British drinks trade as it faces unprecedented challenges from the impact of the COVID-19 crisis.
Today, on St Patrick’s Day, Guinness is pledging £1,000,000 to support bartenders in the free trade across Great Britain. Thousands of bartenders will be able to benefit from the £1,000,000 fund intended for pubs and bars to put towards bartenders’ wages. A similar community fund is being set up in Ireland.
Anyone working in the drinks trade will be given the opportunity to attend a complimentary Diageo Bar Academy Training Course, viaconsisting of virtual training and online learning. Training includes modules such as the ‘business of bar tending,’ which can provide practical advice and may help to manage quieter trading periods.
Diageo is helping to support smaller retailers, pubs and bars up and down the country by providing flexibility on order size and allowing smaller customers to manage their inventory in this fast-moving situation. This will be applied across Diageo’s total trade customer base in a bid to help customers access product more easily and manage their cash flow in these challenging circumstances.
Dayalan Nayager - Managing Director Great Britain, Ireland and France at Diageo said: “The British drinks trade is facing one of its most challenging times ever and we want to help our communities when they need us most. We all need to come together to support the trade and I would urge all my fellow drinks producers to do what they can to help our British pubs, bars and retailers and restaurants over the next few months.”
Notes to Editor
- The measures will be introduced from Monday 23rd March onwards.
- Pubs and bars wanting to access the new fund should apply via MyDiageo.com from Monday 23rd The maximum available funding per free trade outlet is £600.
- Diageo customers should contact their account manager for more information on the revised Minimum Order Quantities.