Diageo Great Britain
Diageo Great Britain is one of Britain’s leading exporters, helping to fly the flag for British business in over 180 countries.
We have a long history of creating shared value with the communities in which we operate – both in Great Britain and beyond. From promoting sustainable agriculture to sourcing local ingredients, we work hard to protect and preserve natural resources and to help local individuals, business and communities thrive.
Reducing our environmental impact
We are committed to reducing any environmental impact across our supply chain.
- We have invested £100 million in renewable technologies in recent years.
- We have made major improvements to our breweries and distilleries to improve water efficiency.
- We were ranked by the CDP (previously Carbon Disclosure Project) as the best performing beverage company in the world for climate change strategy, emissions disclosure, and performance.
Our results so far
- We have reduced absolute carbon emissions from our European operations by 30% or 121,000 tonnes since 2007, and have set a reduction target of 50% absolute carbon by 2020.
- We have improved our water efficiency by 30% in our European distilleries and breweries since 2007.
- 40% of our packaging now comes from recycled material, and we aim to reach a rate of 45% by 2020.
Building thriving communities
We work to empower communities with a particular focus on improving access to opportunity.
- Last year we invested £4.2 million in community programmes across Europe.
- We have also helped communities beyond Europe through our Water of Life programme and our commitment to sourcing local ingredients.
- In 2015 and 2016, we partnered with Mercy Corp International to provide support for refugees who had made the perilous journey across the Mediterranean and the communities that support them.
Our results so far
- Our Bar Academy programme has provided training to 77,500 bar staff across the continent in the last three years.
- Through Learning for Life we have created training and employment opportunities for more than 700 young people in Europe since we launched the programme in 2014.
- Water of Life has provided clean water to 10 million people in 18 African countries in the last 10 years.
- We currently source 73% of our raw material from local producers, and are on track to reach 80% by 2020.