Diageo South Africa
Diageo South Africa is the country’s leading premium spirits company.
Our role in society
Playing a positive role in society is at the heart of our ambition in South Africa. Operating in a responsible and sustainable way every day, everywhere means that we can support our communities, protect and preserve natural resources and help ensure alcohol can be enjoyed as part of a balance lifestyle.
Alcohol in society
We aim to reduce alcohol-related harm by focusing on education and advice that will support consumers to drink responsibly.
- Drive Dry, our award winning anti-drink drive multimedia campaign, has been running successfully for many years and is a key part of our on-going efforts to reduce harmful drinking.
- We started the Responsible Drinking Media Awards (RDMA) to support and reward alcohol awareness campaigning in the media.
- We promote DRINKiQ, our global responsible drinking portal for consumers and employees.
Our results so far
- Drive Dry’s 13-part ‘Aziwe Ke’ radio drama inspired more than 15,000 listeners to pledge not to drink drive on the Drive Dry website.
- Now in its 8th year, RDMA has rewarded the work of over 60 media and advertising companies and continues to encourage creative messages around responsible drinking.
- We have used DRINKiQ to train several hundred people externally on making better choices around drinking. The tool is also used to train all new employees.
We create wealth both directly through our operations and indirectly through our broader value chains while making progress in tangible areas such as water consumption and carbon use.
- The Diageo South Africa corporate head office uses recycled water for non-essential uses while recycling initiatives are included as part of business as usual activities.
- Our Learning for Life programme provides training and job opportunities for unemployed youth in local communities.
- The Spirited Women Network supports a mentorship programme for high School girls in the area close to the Diageo South Africa office.
Our results so far
- In the last three years we have reduced our energy consumption by 35% and our water use by 27% at the Isipingo plant.
- By the end of May 2018 we had achieved 4,595 lost time accident free days at our facility in Isipingo.