30 JAN 2020
30 JAN 2020 Press release
2020 Interim Results, half year ended 31 December 2019
Delivering consistent performance and broad based growth
- Reported net sales (£7.2 billion) increased 4.2% driven by organic growth. Reported operating profit (£2.4 billion) increased 0.5%, driven by organic growth offset by unfavourable exchange, exceptional operating items and acquisitions and disposals
- All regions contributed to broad based organic net sales growth, up 4.2%, with organic volume up 0.2%
- Organic operating profit grew 4.6%, ahead of organic net sales, driven by productivity benefits from everyday cost efficiencies and strong price/mix, partially offset by cost inflation and upweighted marketing investment
- We continue to deliver consistently solid cash flow with net cash from operating activities at £1.3 billion, £0.3 billion lower than prior period and free cash flow at £1.0 billion, £0.4 billion lower than prior period largely due to one-off tax impacts and timing of tax payments
- Basic eps of 79.2 pence decreased by 2.1% due to prior year exceptional gains. Pre-exceptional eps grew 4.2% to 80.2 pence, driven by higher operating profit and the capital return programme
- Interim dividend increased 5% to 27.41 pence per share
Ivan Menezes, Chief Executive, commenting on the results said:
"Diageo has delivered another good, consistent set of results in the first half, with broad based organic net sales growth across regions and categories. We have continued to increase investment behind marketing and growth initiatives, while expanding organic operating margins.
During the half, we returned £1.1bn to shareholders via share buybacks, as part of our plan to return up to £4.5 billion of capital to shareholders for the period Fiscal 20 to Fiscal 22. We have also delivered another half of solid free cash flow at almost £1 billion.
These results reflect the changes we are making in the business to drive shifts in our culture. They are in line with our current mid-term guidance and have been delivered in the face of increased levels of volatility in India, Latin America and Caribbean and Travel Retail.
For the full year, we therefore expect organic net sales growth to be towards the lower end of our 4 to 6% mid-term guidance range. We continue to expect organic operating profit to grow roughly one percentage point ahead of organic net sales.
There is ongoing uncertainty in the global trade environment and we would not be immune from further policy changes. We remain focused on building the long-term health of our brands, supported by data-led insights and a culture of everyday efficiency. With the consumer at the heart of the business and with greater agility and discipline in the execution of our strategy, we are growing Diageo in a consistent, sustainable way."
Investor enquiries to:
+44 (0) 20 8978 6504
+44 (0) 20 8978 6019
+44 (0) 20 8978 2402
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0) 7925 642 561
+44 (0) 7590 809 101
+44 (0) 7971 977 759
+44 (0) 7568 131 101
Diageo is a global leader in beverage alcohol with an outstanding collection of brands across spirits and beer categories. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, J&B, Buchanan’s and Windsor whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo is a global company, and our products are sold in more than 180 countries around the world. The company is listed on both the London Stock Exchange (DGE) and the New York Stock Exchange (DEO).
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.