25 JUL 2019
25 JUL 2019 Press release
2019 Preliminary Results, year ended 30 June 2019
Delivering our strategy through strong consistent performance
- Reported net sales (£12.9 billion) increased 5.8% with organic growth partially offset by acquisitions and disposals. Reported operating profit (£4.0 billion) increased 9.5%, driven by organic growth
- All regions contributed to broad based organic net sales growth, up 6.1%, with organic volume up 2.3%
- Organic operating profit grew 9.0%, ahead of top line organic growth, driven by improved price/mix and productivity benefits from everyday cost efficiencies, partially offset by cost inflation and higher marketing investment
- Cash flow continued to be strong, with net cash from operating activities at £3.2 billion, up £164 million and free cash flow at £2.6 billion, up £85 million
- Basic eps of 130.7 pence increased by 7.4%. Pre-exceptional eps grew 10.3% to 130.8 pence, driven by higher operating profit and lower finance charges, which more than offset an increased tax charge as a result of higher profit
- On 25 July the Board approved plans for a further return of capital up to £4.5 billion to shareholders for the period F20 to F22
- The final dividend increased 5% bringing the full year dividend to 68.57 pence per share
Ivan Menezes, Chief Executive, commenting on the results said:
“Diageo has delivered another year of strong performance. Organic volume and net sales growth was broad based across regions and categories, with new product innovation being a strong contributor. We expanded organic operating margin ahead of our guidance and increased investment behind our brands ahead of organic net sales growth.
Fiscal 19 has been another year of strong free cash flow delivery at £2.6 billion and we have returned £2.8 billion to shareholders via share buybacks. The Board has approved plans for an additional return to shareholders of up to £4.5 billion over Fiscal 20 to Fiscal 22.
Our focus on quality sustainable growth is backed by a culture of everyday efficiency that enables us to invest smartly in marketing and growth initiatives while expanding margins.
These results reflect the steady progress we are making and as we look ahead we see attractive opportunities to deliver consistent growth and create shareholder value. In the medium term I expect Diageo to maintain organic net sales growth in the mid-single digit range and to grow organic operating profit ahead of net sales in the range of 5%-7%.”
Investor enquiries to:
+44 (0) 20 8978 6504
+44 (0) 20 8978 4429
+44 (0) 20 8978 2402
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0) 7925 642 561
+44 (0) 7590 810 800
+44 (0) 7971 977 759
+44 (0) 7568 131 101
Diageo is a global leader in beverage alcohol with an outstanding collection of brands across spirits and beer categories. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, J&B, Buchanan’s and Windsor whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo is a global company, and our products are sold in more than 180 countries around the world. The company is listed on both the London Stock Exchange (DGE) and the New York Stock Exchange (DEO).
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.