U.S. Guinness Open Gate Brewery Announces $1 Million Fund Focus for Baltimore’s Black Community
Funds to support equity and opportunity in local hospitality, art and culture pathways, and help alleviate food insecurity
Feature 11 DEC 2020
The Open Gate Brewery in Maryland, home to Guinness in America, has announced details of its Guinness Gives Back Baltimore Community Fund. The million-dollar commitment will support three key focus areas in the Baltimore, Maryland region’s Black community: economic justice, community empowerment, and equal representation.
“Our team has spent months researching ways to do the most good with these funds, consulting local advisors and building a strategic framework to pay it forward, as both a neighbor and champion of change in the Baltimore region, delivering meaningful impact and sustainable support for the Black community. Guinness has always been 'made of more' and, as the home of Guinness in America, genuine give back efforts are in our DNA. The Baltimore region has warmly welcomed our team since opening the Guinness Gates just two years ago and we're honored to support such worthy causes in the fight for equity.”Jennifer Hudson
Director at Diageo Beer Company.
The contributions will support the following community organizations:
- Visit Baltimore Education and Training Foundation – Donations will fully fund the non-profit’s Diversity Apprenticeship Program for the next year, with plans to continue supporting for five years
- Reginald F. Lewis Museum – Contributions to the award-winning tourism destination known as the “authentic voice of Maryland African American History and Culture” will help champion underrepresented artists to inspire the next generation, and provide more exposure to the power of the arts for underserved audiences through digitization, new experiences, improving physical access, and broader education.
- Job Opportunities Task Force - Brewmaster Peter Wiens and Head Brewer Hollie Stephenson will lead Guinness' stateside brewing team in creating a series of special release beer collaborations with local friends, coworkers, and community leaders, with all proceeds benefiting the Job Opportunities Task Force. The organization works to eliminate educational and employment barriers for low-wage workers by transforming the systems and policies that create and perpetuate those barriers.
- Maryland Food Bank– The food bank is a long-standing community partner of the brewery, and the support from this fund will aid the organization in its work to address the impact of racial inequality and structural barriers to food access.
- Baltimore Action Legal Team– Contributions to the organization help bolster its efforts to provide legal support to Baltimore residents as they exercise their civil liberties.
For updates on Guinness' Gives Back Baltimore Fund and more from the Guinness Open Gate Brewery, follow @GuinnessBreweryUS on Facebook and Instagram and @GuinnessUS on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter or visit www.GuinnessBreweryBaltimore.com.