Pride Goes Virtual for Diageo in North America
Feature 30 JUN 2020
While this year Pride was certainly celebrated differently the world over, Diageo employees didn’t let the inability to be together stand in their way. Tapping into Diageo’s values and passion, brands, employees and partners in North America found ways to celebrate as a community. Through a combination of creative virtual events, brand messages, donation opportunities, and employee and digital engagement, Diageo’s North America business celebrated the month of June as Pride month under the banner of “We are One.” Specifically, members of the business partnered with Diageo’s Rainbow Network employee resource group, alongside Smirnoff and Ketel One brands to amplify and communicate messages of pride, positivity and inclusion throughout the month.
Given the current environment, the team ensured that all initiatives could be activated while celebrating Pride safely at home. Activations included:
- Flying Pride flags at Diageo’s North America manufacturing sites in Illinois, Maryland, and Canada, joining a number of Diageo’s other locations doing the same around the globe.
- A powerful virtual fireside chat with iconic transgender actress and activist, and Smirnoff partner, Laverne Cox, presented by Smirnoff, The Rainbow Network, and Diageo’s African Heritage Employee group (AHEAD).
- A virtual Pride parade, which showcased at-home celebrations alongside archival footage from past Pride parades.
- The creation of Zoom virtual backgrounds with vibrant Pride themes and imagery to brighten up calls throughout the month, and beyond
- An exciting “Drag Bingo” virtual happy hour event. Employees participated in a spirited game session hosted by drag performer and choreographer, and Smirnoff Ambassador, Alyssa Edwards. Despite everyone being apart, the enthusiasm around the virtual events and initiatives could be felt broadly, and brought the Diageo NA community even closer together.