Diageo supports launch of global standards for online sale and delivery of alcohol
Together, the companies that form the International Alliance for Responsible Drinking (IARD) have launched the first-ever global standards for the online sale and delivery of alcohol.
Feature 26 MAY 2021
A global partnership of the 12 leading beer, wine, and spirits producers that form the International Alliance for Responsible Drinking (IARD), alongside 14 prominent global and regional online retailers, and e-commerce and delivery platforms spanning six continents, have identified five key safeguards to help ensure that robust standards are in place throughout the entire supply chain and customer journey.
The standards outlined include:
- Improving safeguards and security measures that aim to prevent minors from being able to buy alcohol
- Putting in place mechanisms to prevent beer, wine, and spirits being delivered to minors, to individuals showing visible signs of intoxication, or where prohibited by law
- Providing tools, information, and education, or other support to drivers to empower them to deny delivery
- Enhancing consumer information and control
- Promoting global standards as a resource to support the development of national level codes and practices for the online sale and delivery of alcohol that build on local and national regulation
The full details of the standards can be found here.
“This is a true world-first initiative in raising standards of responsibility across the board for e-commerce. This international partnership has worked together tirelessly to set global standards for the online sale and delivery of alcohol beverages, taking further concrete steps towards the elimination of alcohol sales to minors. IARD is proud to have united the world’s leading drinks producers with leading online retailers and e-commerce platforms and we invite others to join us in this landmark collaboration to raise global standards.”Henry Ashworth
IARD President and CEO
Although the COVID-19 pandemic and the closure of hospitality venues in most countries throughout 2020 resulted in global alcohol sales volumes declining by more than 6% year on year in 2020, there has been an acceleration in the shift to e-commerce with the sale and delivery of alcohol online increasing by 33% globally*. This is an exciting development but one that must be done responsibly and this launch demonstrates our commitment to the safe sale and delivery of alcohol online.
* Euromonitor International Proprietary Alcoholic Drinks data