Brazil celebrates 110 years of the Johnnie Walker Striding Man
Johnnie Walker‘s iconic symbol, created in 1908 by cartoonist Tom Browne, comes to life in a series of activations in Brazil.
Feature 03 MAY 2018
To mark the 110th anniversary of the Striding Man, Johnnie Walker Brazil is launching a collection of historical limited edition packaging and holding a series of events throughout the country.
“Few brands in the world have an icon as famous and recognizable as the Johnnie Walker Striding Man. We are excited to bring to life this centenary symbol through a series of creative activations in Brazil in the next few months.”Guilherme Martins
Head of Diageo whisky portfolio in Brazil
- John Walker established his business in 1820. In 1908, John Walker & Sons commissioned the artist and cartoonist Tom Browne to create an icon for his whisky. Browne’s original Regency gentleman, depicted on the first bottle, made his debut on 2nd December that year.
- The fully integrated campaign marking the 110th anniversary of the Striding Man in Brazil will include:
- A Retro Limited Edition of 150,000 bottles available from mid-April in 1200 points of sale throughout the country. The edition will include iconic packaging inspired from the years 1908, 1929, 1970, 1996, and a new package for 2018.
- 1908 (Johnnie Walker Red Label) inspired by art nouveau
- 1929 (Johnnie Walker Red Label) referencing oil painting
- 1970 (Johnnie Walker Black Label) inspired by pop culture
- 1996 (Johnnie Walker Black Label) recalls TV and VHS era
- 2018 (Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve) celebratory edition
- A promotion across over 400 bars in which consumers can win collectible 110th anniversary magnets and have the opportunity to win the full limited edition collection bottles.
- Urban interventions in the cities of São Paulo and Recife through a series of surprise pop up events.
- An augmented reality experience bringing to life the Striding Man and allowing consumers to interact with him for the first time. This will be available through the Keep Walking BR application on smartphones or tablets by pointing the camera of the device to the Striding Man logo. The application also includes information and maps about the different promotional activities happening in São Paulo.
- In May, an animation of Striding Man showing the whole evolution of the Striding Man against various landmark dates will launch online and in a giant 10-metre digital screen at the Congonhas airport in São Paulo. The installation will include a movement sensor allowing the Striding Man to walk alongside people passing in front of the panel. The Striding man will also be projected on the facade of JK shopping malls in São Paulo and Recife.
- As part of its responsible drinking road safety campaign #HojeNãoDirijo (#TodayI’mNotDriving), Johnnie Walker will provide 1,000 miles of free ride taxis during weekends in April and May through the 99 Taxi app. Over the past 10 years Johnnie Walker has donated more than 4 million kilometers of free ride taxis to consumers in Brazil through the #HojeNãoDirijo campaign.