Be a great host this festive season with Diageo’s ‘Good Host Guide’
In partnership with Fred Sirieix, Maître d' and host of Channel 4 series First Dates, we’ve launched 'The Good Host Guide’ to share hints and tips around how to be a great host.
Feature 29 NOV 2019
'The Good Host Guide'
The ‘Good Host Guide’, grounded in UK-based research* and created with Maître d' Fred Sirieix, host of the much-loved Channel 4 series First Dates, is aimed at giving budding hosts top tips around how to look after guests and promote responsible drinking throughout the festive season.
As well as being packed with advice from Fred around how to create a great atmosphere, the guide includes tips such as how to stock a festive drinks trolley and a range of recipes including low and no ABV cocktail serves.
Fred Sirieix, Maître d' and host of Channel 4 series 'First Dates'
Top tips from the guide include:
- Avoid top-ups: topping up glasses and drinks before they’re finished makes it hard for guests to keep track of how much they’ve consumed and can risk leading to excessive drinking.
- Serve food: serving up plenty of food throughout a celebration is crucial as it helps slow the absorption of alcohol into the body. If you’re not dishing up a full meal, go for snacks with a good balance of protein, fat and carbs.
- Plan some activities: have some interactive fun planned as part of the celebration, games that don’t revolve around alcohol mean the focus is shifted away from just drinking.
- Get creative with non-alcoholic cocktails: offering tempting non-alcoholic options like a Seedlip and tonic means guests are more likely to space alcoholic with non-alcoholic drinks throughout the night.
- End the night right: make sure there is a designated driver amongst your guests or organize a cab home for anyone that needs one.
“For me, a great celebration is not just about what you serve, but also about how you make people feel, both during and after the event. One of the golden rules in restaurants is to keep track of how much your guests are drinking, offering plenty of water and keeping everyone well-fed. But at home, this can be tricky, so The Good Host Guide includes advice on how to be a responsible host and create an amazing atmosphere for your guests.”Fred Sirieix
“Say goodbye to small talk and cringey dancing, the days of the office Christmas bash are numbered. But the good news is, we know how to host an amazing event elsewhere. From getting creative with colourful non-alcoholic cocktails to providing delicious, vegan-friendly finger-food, The Good Host Guide is packed with tips to help party-planners create a truly enjoyable experience for all guests.”Aileen Keyes
Head of Alcohol and Society for Diageo Europe
*About the research: Survey of 2,003 UK legal drinking age adults conducted by Opinium between 1st - 7th of November 2019.