London, 28 February 2013: Diageo, the world's leading premium drinks business, celebrated the work of its top agencies at the 4th Annual Marketing Brilliance Awards ceremony in London last night. The Marketing Brilliance Awards recognise the outstanding work created and executed by the marketing agencies Diageo works with across its global network.
This year's winning work was as diverse as it was exciting, from truly engaging responsible drinking campaigns to awe inspiring voyages across the oceans. Each of these 'gold standard' campaigns helped Diageo connect with consumers in increasingly innovative ways, providing stimulating content across a wide variety of media channels.
New to this year's Marketing Brilliance Awards was the 'Entrepreneur' category, introduced to recognise an outstanding campaign that exhibits ingenuity, creative flair and determination to deliver fantastic results with limited resources and budgets. The global winners in this category were Carat, KK Outlet and Story PR, who each successfully developed and executed elements of the 'Talisker Atlantic Challenge'. Positioned as the 'world's toughest rowing race', the 'Talisker Atlantic Challenge' launched in December 2011, tracking the progress of the participants across a 3,000 mile treacherous journey from the Canary Islands to Barbados.
Andy Fennell, Chief Marketing Officer, Diageo, commented, "Congratulations to all of our Marketing Brilliance Award winners. I want to thank the agency teams for pushing hard to deliver brilliant work. The quality of the winning submissions shows that we have raised the bar, both in terms of core creative ideas and in particular with standards of execution. I hope to see more and more of our campaigns, people and agencies shooting for a ten as we aim for faster growth."
The final winners as announced at the ceremony in London last night were the following:
- Category: Responsible Drinking Campaign
- Winning agency: FoxP2
- Campaign: 'Drive Dry' (Africa)
- Category: Design & Gifting
- Winning agencies: invigor8tion and Raison Pure
- Campaign: Diamond Jubilee by Johnnie Walker & Son's (Global)
- Category: Bought
- Winning agency: Neogama-BBH
- Campaign: Johnnie Walker 'Rock' TV Campaign (LatAm)
- Category: Owned
- Winning agencies: Brain Juice Group
- Campaign: Bushmills Facebook Program Poland (Eastern Europe)
- Category: Owned
- Winning agencies: Praekelt, BCL, Carberry Communications, Endemol
- Campaign: Guinness Football Challenge (Africa)
- Category: Earned
- Winning agencies: Mindshare, Advocate, The Newtons
- Campaign: Johnnie Walker 'Keep Walking Greece' (Western Europe)
- Category: Innovation
- Winning agencies: Bloom, The Hardy Boys
- Campaign: 'Snapp' launch (Africa)
- Category: Innovation
- Winning agency: Barker Grey
- Campaign: 'Bundaberg Master Distillers Launch' (Asia Pacific)
- Category: Innovation
- Winning agencies: Landor and JWT
- Campaign: Smirnoff 'Whipped & Fluffed' product launch (North America)
- Category: Integrated category regional winner
- Winning agency partners: Anomaly, Taylor PR, Landor, MKTG, Carat and Colangelo
- Campaign: Captain Morgan Launch of 'Life, Love & Loot' Campaign (North America)
- Category: Entrepreneur
- Winning agency partners: Carat, Story PR, KK Outlet
- Campaign: Talisker Atlantic Challenge (Western Europe)
- Category: Category Development - Off Trade
- Winning agency: LOVE
- Campaign: Whisky Category Father's Day - "Raise a Glass to Your Dad" 360 Campaign
- Category: Category Development - On Trade
- Winning agency: TMW
- Campaign: Gordon's Elderflower (Western Europe)
- Category: Special marketing leadership team award
- Winning agency partners: Edelman, Precious, Asylum
- Campaign: Johnnie Walker & Son's Voyager program (Asia Pacific)
- Category: Best mobile campaign
- Winning agency: Anomaly
- Campaign: Captain Morgan
- Category: Best on trade design
- Winning partner: Conran Design
- Campaign: Gordons Ten Green Bottles
Notes to Editors:
For further information please contact:
Erin Hankinson - Edelman
T: + 44 (0) 203 047 2364
About the Marketing Brilliance Awards
In November 2012, Diageo's Global Marketing Leadership Team met to review the output from its agencies, the objective being to select agencies that had delivered excellence in terms of brilliant thinking, execution and client service throughout 2012 in eight different categories, as noted below. In addition it highlighted the Talisker Atlantic Challenge for a special recognition Entrepreneur award.
Best integrated campaign
Best example of a fully integrated campaign (engagement platform) across multiple channels, that motivates and engages consumers at all touch points and builds affinity and loyalty for the brand.
Best example of the creation/and or execution of an interruption activity (could be TV, press, outdoor, display in Duty Free/On or Off trade) that appropriately changes consumer brand perception.
Best example of the creation/and or execution of a media asset (Website, Mobile, You Tube, Email, Facebook page, Event/Sponsorship, TV programme) created for a brand that encourages consumer participation with the brand, changes brand perception, builds affinity and loyalty.
Best example of the creation/and or execution of a 'conversation' created and managed in the media (on and off line) that engages and excites the consumer to participate with a brand engagement platform or campaign.
Promotions & Events
Best brand conversion driving programme in our customers (On or Off trade/Duty Free) with a shift in emphasis towards commercial creativity and category growth.
Best Innovation pack design, or innovation programme developed by an agency to support an innovation, with proven results.
Design & Gifting
Best example of a brand redesign, up-charge gift, VAP design, or retail display in the on or off trade (or Duty Free).
Responsible Drinking Campaign
Best example of a Responsible Drinking campaign in any media that engages and motivates participation.
Category Development - ON Trade
Best execution in raising the retail experience for our categories or brands in the on trade. (This award can include work from raising the quality and creativity of merchandising visibility for our categories to elevating the consumer experience through on trade transformations).
Category Development - OFF Trade
The best execution in raising the retail experience for our categories or brands in the off trade. (This award can include work from raising the quality and creativity of merchandising visibility for our categories to elevating the shopping experience through whole store transformations).
Best example of a brand or category mobile phone and/tablet device activity, delivered through social or mobile networks, e-commerce, search, content and ads.
Best example of a brand team maximising value from a limited budget.
Special marketing leadership team award
An activity, campaign or program singled out for special recognition for courage and daring and challenging convention.
Diageo is the world's leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, beer and wine categories. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, JεB, Buchanan's, Windsor and Bushmills whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Jose Cuervo, Tanqueray and Guinness. Diageo is a global company, with its products sold in more than 180 countries around the world. The company is listed on both the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and the London Stock Exchange (DGE). For more information about Diageo, its people and its brands, visit www.diageo.com. For Diageo's global resource that promotes responsible drinking through the sharing of best practice tools, information and initiatives, visit www.DRINKiQ.com.
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.