We have a proud history of caring for the environment. Every year we produce more than 6.5 billion litres of our brands, from more than 100 manufacturing sites in 30 countries. To deliver our ambitions and remain resilient in a rapidly changing world, we are strengthening our environmental goals, and will continue to develop them as we grow.
As a business that uses water we take care to use this valuable natural resource responsibly, especially in areas where water is scarce. We will manage water responsibly by improving water efficiency, reducing water pollution, replenishing water in water stresses areas and encouraging more sustainable agriculture strategies.
Reducing our carbon footprint and driving operational efficiencies remains a focus to deliver effective manufacturing and business activities in a low carbon future so our targets also address carbon, waste, packaging and deforestation to protect the natural resources that our businesses and communities rely on. We are developing the environmental capabilities and processes needed to ensure that Diageo’s new products help us to meet our goals and aspirations.
We will report on our progress against all our targets and evaluate the impact of our activities. We welcome feedback on how we are performing, and what more we have to do. We are committed to the highest standards of business ethics and behaviour.
We understand that the way we work builds trust and respect, and demonstrates that we are good citizens. We are proud of our work in responsible drinking and our work to address development challenges, whether skills, social enterprise or access to clean water.
With everything we do, we aim to celebrate life through having a positive effect on individuals, the community and Diageo. Fundamentally, we believe that we only earn trust and respect through our actions, and we will continue to work hard to ensure that Diageo delivers on its promises.
- Reduce water use through a 50% improvement in water use efficiency.
- Return 100% of waste water from our operations to the environment safely.
- Replenish the amount of water used in our final product in water stressed areas.
- Equip our suppliers with tools to protect water resources in the most water stressed locations.
- Reduce absolute greenhouse gas emissions from direct operations by 50%, and achieve a 30% reduction along the total supply chain.
- Ensure all our new refrigeration equipment in trade are HFC-free, with a reduction in associated GHG emissions from 2015.
- Reduce total packaging by 15%, while increasing recycled content to 45% and making 100% of packaging recyclable.
- Sustainably source all of our paper and board packaging to ensure zero net deforestation.
- Achieve zero waste to landfill.