We appreciate that responsible drinking is a valued and enjoyable part of life for most people who choose to drink. However, we recognise that some consumers cause harm to themselves and others when they drink irresponsibly. This is not good for them, for society, or for our reputation; and we seek to do our part, working with others, to address this problem. We focus on three areas:
- Communicating about alcohol responsibly and promoting rigorous company and industry-wide marketing standards
- Tackling alcohol misuse by supporting effective programmes with a variety of partners, which seek to raise awareness and change attitudes and behaviour
- Advocating effective, evidence-based policy which is culturally sensitive and does not result in unintended consequences.
Working with others
We believe that efforts to reduce the misuse of alcohol are likely to be most effective when government, civil society, individuals and families, work together with the beverage alcohol industry.
To that end, Diageo is one of 13 leading global producers of beer, wine, and spirits taking action on new commitments launched in October 2012 to reduce harmful drinking. These commitments build on long-standing efforts by the industry, and provide a coordinated response to support member states in implementing the World Health Organization’s global strategy to reduce the harmful use of alcohol The CEO Commitments will be implemented over five years from 2013, and all participating companies will report progress annually, audited by a third party. The commitments cover the following five areas:
- Reducing underage drinking
- Strengthening and expanding marketing codes of practice
- Providing consumer information and responsible product innovation
- Reducing drinking and driving
- Enlisting the support of retailers to reduce harmful drinking.
For the more information on our approach to Alcohol in Society see our 2013 Sustainability & Responsibility Report