- Alcohol in society
- Community Investment
Sustainability is the principle that underlies all Diageo's activities. We seek to continually invest in a sustainable business, to operate in an environmentally sustainable way, and to support a sustainable society and community.
Diageo Ireland's roots stretch back over two and a half centuries, and thanks to the generosity of the Guinness family, a culture of philanthropy runs through the organization. Arthur Guinness' legacy is evident throughout Dublin, and today a new era of philanthropy has been ushered in by an initiative which bears his name.
Learning for Life
Learning for Life is a new programme that provides young unemployed people with opportunities to gain basic employability skills, specialist training and work experience – as well as lifea skills and gives them an opportunity to get into the world of work.
The initiative launched in 2014 and comprises of an 11 week training programme between the famous Guinness Storehouse and partners in the hospitality and tourism industry in Dublin. Once the training is complete, the participants progress onto a 3 month work placement in a bar or hotel chain.
Learning for Life is equipping young people with hospitality industry skills, providing real employment opportunities and facilitating future job growth.
Match Your Fundraising
Diageo supports a wide range of charities and organisations that make a real difference to the lives of thousands of people across Ireland every day. Through this initiative, Diageo match the money raised by employees for registered charities, up to a maximum of €1,000. All Diageo employees can access support for a worthwhile organisation, which is of special importance to them. In 2012 Diageo donated €80,000 to charities throughout Ireland, North and South via this initiative.
As a market leader, Diageo believes it must play a leadership role, together with industry partners, in promoting the responsible enjoyment of alcohol. This includes working with social aspects organisations, MEAS – the Mature Enjoyment of Alcohol in Society.
For more information:
Throughout Ireland, our employees roll up their sleeves and contribute to their communities. Diageo works in partnership with other organisations to provide volunteering opportunities for our employees at all levels across the business.
Caring for Our Environment
Diageo Ireland is dedicated to improving its environmental sustainability for its business and brands - from grain to glass. To this end, Diageo has set challenging environmental goals and has made significant progress against key metrics including carbon, water, waste and packaging. Working in partnership with stakeholders, Diageo will continue to make improvements and work towards achieving its goal of becoming a truly sustainable business. At the 2013 Green Awards, Diageo's work in this area resulted in the organisation receiving two awards for excellence.
CSR Activities at a Glance
- Diageo donated €1million to charities, community groups and social entrepreneurs in 2013.
- Diageo Ireland was awarded Corporate Philanthropist of the Year in 2014.
- Junior Achievement Ireland, Business in the Community, the Guinness Choir and the Abbey Theatre are just a few of the organisations that we support financially.
- Diageo is a key partner in a €75m Ulster Bank Diageo Venture Fund that provides vital capital investment to new and expanding Irish businesses.
- We were instrumental in establishing the Guinness Enterprise Centre – a start up business incubation facility in Dublin's inner city.
- Diageo Ireland received two awards for environmental excellence at the 2014 Green Awards; the Overall Green Award and the Green Medium Sized Organisation Award.
- In 2012, Diageo won a PRII Award for excellence for the Arthur Guinness Fund.
- In 2015 Diageo Ireland won the Fundraising Ireland Awards for best ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ Award for Learning for Life.
- In 2016 Diageo Ireland won the IITD National Training Awards for ‘Best Back to Work’ Initiative for Learning for Life.