London, 21 March 2012: Diageo, the world’s leading premium drinks business, has seen its top agencies exhibit excellence across fully integrated marketing campaigns at the 3rd Annual Marketing Brilliance Awards ceremony in London last night. This year, the international awards have seen the highest ever levels of creativity, with consumer engagement and participation campaigns activated across all media channels and platforms.
The awards recognise Diageo’s continued move to encompass new aspects of innovation, digital, bought, owned and earned media in its brand campaigns. The winners represented work for brands that included Johnnie Walker, Guinness and Captain Morgan from around the world. The vast majority of winners showcased campaigns that allowed consumers to join-in, share, comment and create with these world-leading brands.
The Marketing Brilliance Awards also introduced a new award nominated by Diageo’s Marketing Leadership Team which recognises an outstanding campaign that showcases best practise across all award categories. This award represents the collaboration between three agencies; Love, Asylum, and Possible Worldwide for their fantastic work on the Johnnie Walker House in Shanghai. Launched in May 2011 in Shanghai, the House of Johnnie Walker is an embassy for whisky culture, which seeks to establish Johnnie Walker as the number one whisky in the Chinese market (http://www.johnniewalker.com/global/houseofjohnniewalker/).
Andy Fennell, Diageo Chief Marketing Officer, commented, “All the marketing recognised fundamentally changes the nature of our engagement with consumers through our brands. What has been particularly interesting to see this year is how creatively the agencies have worked with us to deliver new levels of consumer participation in our campaigns. The best work has included a mix of all elements of traditional and new media platforms. Our agencies have truly shown their skill and dexterity in developing innovative work that continues to build our brands. I am delighted to be able to recognise and celebrate their creative ideas and achievements.”
The final winners as announced at the ceremony yesterday were the following:
Category: Responsible Drinking Campaign
- Winning agency: Taylor PR, USA
- Campaign: Captain Morgan ‘First Mate Fund and One Million Pose Programme’ - North America (USA)
Category: Promotions & Events
- Winning agency partner: Isobar, Ireland and DDB, UK
- Campaign: Budweiser ‘Budweiser Ice Cold Index’ – Ireland (Europe)
Category: Design & Gifting
- Winning agency: Design Bridge, UK
- Campaign: Mahiki Coconut Rum ‘Pack(s) Design of Mahiki Coconut Rum’ – GB (Europe)
- Winning agency: King James, South Africa
- Campaign: ‘Johnnie Walker, Haile TVC’ – South Africa (Africa)
<> Category: Owned
- Winning agencies: BBH, China. Ogilvy One, China. Ogilvy PR, China
- Campaign: ‘Johnnie Walker, YULU campaign’ – China (Asia Pacific)
- Winning agency: TBA Plc, UK
- Campaign: ‘Guinness, The Match’ – Nigeria (Africa)
- Winning agency: Mindshare, Mexico
- Campaign: Johnnie Walker ‘Caminando Con Gigantes’ - Mexico (LAC)
- Winning agency: Bloom, UK
- Campaign: Johnnie Walker ‘Double Black’ – London (Global Travel)
- Winning agency: Blue Flame, USA. Raison Pure, USA
- Campaign: Ciroc Flavours Launch – North America (USA)
Category: Synergy 360º
- Winning agency partner: Praekelt, South Africa
- Campaign: Guinness “VIP” – Nigeria (Africa)
Category: Special Marketing Leadership Award
- Winning agency partners: LOVE, Manchester. Asylum, Singapore. Possible Worldwide, Shanghai
- Campaign: Johnnie Walker House, Shanghai – China (Asia Pacific)
Notes to Editors:
For further information please contact:
Erin Hankinson – Edelman
T: + 44 (0) 203 047 2364
About the Marketing Brilliance Awards
In November 2011, Diageo’s Global Marketing Leadership Team met to review the output from its agencies, the objective being to select agencies that had delivered excellence in terms of brilliant thinking, execution and client service throughout 2011 in eight different categories, as noted below. In addition it highlighted the Johnnie Walker House Shanghai for a special recognition marketing leadership award.
• Synergy 360º (‘Bought, Owned and Earned’)
Best example of a fully integrated campaign (engagement platform) across multiple channels, above the line (ATL) and below the line (BTL), that motivates and engages consumers and builds affinity and loyalty for the brand.
Best example of the creation/and or execution of an interruption activity (could be TV, press, outdoor, display in duty free, point of sale) that appropriately changes consumer brand perception.
Best example of the creation/and or execution of a media asset (website, application, email, Facebook page, event/sponsorship, TV program) created for a brand that encourages consumer participation with the brand, changes brand perception, builds affinity and loyalty.
Best example of the creation/and or execution of a ‘conversation’ created and managed in the media (on and off line) that engages and excites the consumer to participate with a brand engagement platform or campaign.
• ‘Promotions & Events’
The best example of a promotion targeted at either our ‘consumers’ or ‘customers’ building brand performance.
Best new product idea or marketing programme developed by an agency to support an innovation.
• ‘Design & Gifting’
Best example of new generic, value added pack or gifting, brand packaging, retail design/display in the off trade and or duty free.
• ‘Responsible Drinking Campaign’
Best example of a responsible drinking campaign in any media that engages and motivates participation.
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, wines and beer categories. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, JεB, Buchanan’s, Windsor and Bushmills whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Baileys, Captain Morgan, Jose Cuervo, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo is a global company, with its products sold in more than 180 markets around the world. The company is listed on both the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and the London Stock Exchange (DGE). For more information about Diageo, its people and its brands, visit www. diageo.com. For Diageo’s global resource that promotes responsible drinking through the sharing of best practice tools, information and initiatives, visit www.DRINKiQ.com.
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.